Safety and efficacy of doxorubicin-eluting superabsorbent polymer microspheres for the treatment of liver metastases from neuroendocrine tumors: preliminary results

  • Lawrence Bonne University Hospitals Leuven
  • Chris Verslype University Hospitals Leuven
  • Annouschka Laenen Catholic University of Leuven and University Hasselt
  • Sandra Cornelissen University Hospitals Leuven
  • Christophe Deroose University Hospitals Leuven
  • Hans Prenen University Hospitals Leuven
  • Vincent Vandecaveye University Hospitals Leuven
  • Eric Van Cutsem University Hospitals Leuven
  • Geert Maleux University Hospitals Leuven

Abstract

Purpose: To retrospectively evaluate the symptom control, tumor response, and complication rate in patients with liver-predominant metastatic neuroendocrine tumors treated with transarterial chemoembolization using doxorubicin-eluting superabsorbent polymer (SAP) microspheres.

Methods: Patients with neuroendocrine liver metastases who underwent hepatic transarterial chemoembolization using doxorubicin-eluting SAP-microspheres (50–100 µm Hepasphere/Quadrasphere Microsphere® particles, Merit Medical, South Jordan, Utah, USA) were included in this study. Pre- and post-procedure imaging studies were evaluated to assess short and intermediate-term tumor response using modified RECIST criteria. Symptom relief and procedure-related complications were evaluated.

Results: A total of 27 embolization procedures were performed on 17 patients. Twelve  of 17 patients (70%) were symptomatic, including carcinoid syndrome (n=8) and severe, uncontrollable hyperglycemia (n=4). Eight  of 12 patients (67%) had complete symptom relief, and the remaining 4 (33%) had partial relief. One patient developed ischemic cholecystitis (6%). No other hepatobiliary complications occurred. Short-term and intermediate-term imaging follow-up was available  for 15/17 patients (88%) and 12/14 patients (86%) respectively. At short-term follow-up (< 3 months), 14 patients (93%) showed partial response and the remaining patient had progressive disease (7%). At intermediate-term imaging follow-up (> 3 months), partial response, stable disease and progressive disease were found respectively in 7 (58%), 3 (25%) and 2 (17%) patients.

Conclusions: Chemoembolization with doxorubicin-eluting SAP-microspheres is a safe and effective treatment option for neuroendocrine liver metastases and is associated with a low complication rate. In particular, no clinically evident liver necrosis or bile duct complications were encountered.

Author Biographies

Lawrence Bonne, University Hospitals Leuven
Department of Radiology
Chris Verslype, University Hospitals Leuven
Department of Hepatology
Annouschka Laenen, Catholic University of Leuven and University Hasselt
Interuniversity Centre for Biostatistics and Statistical Bioinformatics
Sandra Cornelissen, University Hospitals Leuven
Department of Radiology
Christophe Deroose, University Hospitals Leuven
Department of Nuclear Medicine
Hans Prenen, University Hospitals Leuven
Department of Hepatology
Vincent Vandecaveye, University Hospitals Leuven
Department of Radiology
Eric Van Cutsem, University Hospitals Leuven
Department of Hepatology
Geert Maleux, University Hospitals Leuven
Department of Radiology
Published
2017-02-28
How to Cite
Bonne, L., Verslype, C., Laenen, A., Cornelissen, S., Deroose, C., Prenen, H., Vandecaveye, V., Van Cutsem, E., & Maleux, G. (2017). Safety and efficacy of doxorubicin-eluting superabsorbent polymer microspheres for the treatment of liver metastases from neuroendocrine tumors: preliminary results. Radiology and Oncology, 51(1). Retrieved from https://radioloncol.com/index.php/ro/article/view/2752
Section
Radiology